You’ve heard it, “Beef…It’s what’s for dinner”. Well just try renaming “meatloaf”…you know, the traditional, all American, every mom/dad makes one. Just about impossible to rename. You may ask, “why would you want to”. For some reason the name is bland and unappetizing to me. So here I give you the recipe to Debo’s Southern Savory Cake of Beef. Make it truly Southern by cooking up a batch of mashed potatoes, biscuits & gravy to go with 🙂 If you’d like a gravy recipe let me know.
This recipe got two thumbs up from my kiddos. Luke said. “Mom, I like this one so much better that the other one.” I said, “which one”. He said, “You know the one with those out in the open onions“. Perfectly stated Luke! I love his descriptiveness! In this recipe I caramelize the onions to give it an extra special, not so out in the open flavor.
Debo’s Savory Southern Cake of Beef
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 3 Cups of Onions (diced)
- 6 Tablespoons Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary (chopped)
- 1.5 teaspoons Fresh Thyme (chopped)
- 3/4 Cup Red Wine (I used a blend)
- 1 (1 pound & 12 ounce) Can Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes with basil, oregano & garlic (drained)
- 1.5 Tablespoons Molasses
- 2 teaspoons Chipotle Peppers (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 Whole Eggs (use 4 for a more firm cake)
- Heat butter and oil over medium low heat. Add onions and cook slowly for about 20 minutes until a good light to medium caramel color.
- Turn heat up to medium to medium high. Add the garlic and and herbs. Saute for 1-2 minutes then deglaze the pan with the red wine and let reduce to at least half for about 5-7 minutes
- Remove from heat. Place mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add drained tomatoes, molasses, chipotle peppers, salt, pepper, eggs, and cheese. Mix all of these ingredients thoroughly.
- Last add the meat and mix until well combined…use your hands 🙂